Paediatric Overweight and Obesity Hub
Our Healthy Kids Hub is a free service with a team of health professionals. The team works closely with families to help them find solutions to the challenges of obesity and being overweight. The team uses the strengths of each family to help them create a happy and healthy future.
Any child from birth to 18 years who meets one or more of the following criteria can access the Healthy Kids Hub:
- Has been referred by a paediatrician, general practitioner, Queensland Health (QH) professional, QH Multicultural Health Worker, Child Health Nurse or member of the education department.
- Is aged between 0–2 years and has a BMI > 97th percentile on the WHO growth charts and gaining weight rapidly, or who has been assessed by a paediatrician or general practitioner (GP) to have weight concerns (are above the healthy weight range).
- Is aged between 2–18 years and has a BMI ≥ 85th percentile on the US-CDC or WHO growth charts. This includes children with no significant identified comorbidities, however may be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
Who will my child be seen by at the hub?
Your child may be seen by a number of different health professionals including a multicultural health worker, clinical nurse consultant, dietitian, psychologist and a physiotherapist. These health professionals will work with you and your family to manage your child’s weight and help them live a healthier life.
How does the hub work?
- Your child is referred to the Healthy Kids Hub by your doctor, nurse or health professional.
- The multicultural health worker will call your family to make an appointment to come to the Hub.
- During your first appointment at the Hub, your family will see the nurse and the multicultural health worker. Then, depending on what your family needs, you will meet some of the other team members.
- Over the next 3 to 4 months your family will be offered regular appointments with the team. The team will also stay in contact with your doctor to let them know how your child is going.
- After this time we will work with you and your doctor to make a long-term plan for your child and family. You will then be able to stay in regular contact with your doctor.
Who can access this service and do I need a referral?
|Healthy Kids Hub
|Referral can be made by a paediatrician, general practitioner, Queensland Health (QH) professional, QH Multicultural Health Worker, Child Health Nurse or member of the education department. Please contact our Multicultural Health Worker on 0436 679 153 for more information.
For health professionals
|Please complete a general referral letter and clearly identify the referral is for the Multidisciplinary Paediatric Obesity Hub (Logan).
Submit your completed referral form and supporting information to the Queensland Children’s Hospital referral Centre via email CHQ-LCCF-REF@health.qld.gov.au