The information contained in the Queensland Paediatric Emergency Care nursing skill sheets are intended for use by nursing staff for information purposes only. The information has been prepared using a multidisciplinary approach with reference to the best information and evidence available at the time of preparation. No assurance is given that the information is entirely complete, current, or accurate in every respect. The nursing skill sheets are not a substitute for clinical judgement, knowledge and expertise, or medical advice. Variation from the nursing skill sheets, taking into account individual circumstances may be appropriate. This does not address all elements of standard practice and accepts that individual clinicians are responsible for the following:
- Providing care within the context of locally available resources, expertise, and scope of practice.
- Supporting consumer rights and informed decision making in partnership with healthcare practitioners including the right to decline intervention or ongoing management.
- Advising consumers of their choices in an environment that is culturally appropriate and which enables comfortable and confidential discussion. This includes the use of interpreter services where necessary.
- Ensuring informed consent is obtained prior to delivering care.
- Meeting all legislative requirements and professional standards.
- Applying standard precautions, and additional precautions as necessary, when delivering care.
- Documenting all care in accordance with mandatory and local requirements.
Children’s Health Queensland disclaims, to the maximum extent permitted by law, all responsibility and all liability (including without limitation, liability in negligence) for all expenses, losses, damages and costs incurred for any reason associated with the use of this nursing skill sheet, including the materials within or referred to throughout this document being in any way inaccurate, out of context, incomplete or unavailable.