Staying at the hospital

You may be able to stay in hospital overnight with your child. Talk to your child’s nurse to find if you can.

If you can’t, visit our Welfare Team on Level 6F or call 07 3068 2940. They can give you information about other accommodation options.

Emergency accommodation

If you arrive at the hospital after 4:30 pm or on a weekend or public holiday, talk to your child’s nurse about emergency accommodation. They’ll find out if there's any available. If there’s not, call 07 3068 1111 to talk to one of our Social Workers. They can give you information about other accommodation options.

Accommodation for parents with children in intensive care

Parents and carers can't stay overnight in the intensive care unit. But we have a limited number of single overnight rooms on Level 5 that can be used in an emergency. Ask our nursing staff about these rooms if you think you might need one.

Long-term accommodation

There are accommodation options available if you live outside Brisbane and need long-term accommodation while your child is having treatment.

Patient Travel Subsidy Scheme (PTSS) approved accommodation

If you live in a rural and remote area, and have to travel more than 50 km to your local public hospital, you may be eligible for the Patient Travel Subsidy Scheme.

It helps with travel and accommodation costs for patients who need to use specialist medical services that aren't available in their local area. Find out if you're eligible on the Queensland Government website.

PTSS supported accommodation

The following accommodation is free under the PTSS.

Ronald McDonald House – South Brisbane
283 Vulture Street, South Brisbane
Distance: 5 minute walk
Phone: 07 3845 1600
Website: Ronald McDonald House – South Brisbane

Ronald McDonald House – Herston
22 Garrick Terrace, Herston
Distance: 20 minute drive
Phone: 07 3257 0328
Website: Ronald McDonald House – Herston

PTSS subsidised accommodation

The PTSS subsidises the following accommodation, you only need to pay the gap fee. This is the difference between the amount the accommodation costs, and the amount the PTSS pays. To find out how much the gap fee is, call the accommodation venue you’d like to stay at.

Courtyard Marriott Hotel
218 Vulture St, South Brisbane
Distance: 5 minute walk
Phone: 07 3120 0800
Website: Courtyard Marriott Hotel

River Plaza
21 Dock St, South Brisbane
Distance: 8 minute walk
Phone: 07 3846 7000
Website: River Plaza

Central Hillcrest Apartments
311 Vulture Street, South Brisbane
Distance: 10 minute walk
Phone: 07 3846 3000
Website: Central Hillcrest Apartments

Hotel Diana
12 Annerley Road, South Brisbane
Distance: 10 minute walk
Phone: 07 3391 2911
Website: Hotel Diana

Quest Apartments
46 to 50 Water Street, South Brisbane
Distance: 10 minute walk
Phone: 07 3007 8988
Website: Quest Apartments

Gabba Apartments
803 Stanley Street, South Brisbane
Distance: 20 minute walk
Phone: 07 3175 4700
Website: Gabba Apartments

Mater Hill Place
3 Allen Street, South Brisbane
Distance: 15 minute walk
Phone: 07 3163 3800
Website: Mater Hill Place

Reg Leonard House
24 Clarence Street, South Brisbane
Distance: 10 minute walk
Phone: 07 3163 8477
Website: Reg Leonard House

Cancer services accommodation

If your child is being treated for cancer the following services may also be able to help you with accommodation.

Childhood Cancer support
Phone: 07 3844 5000
Website: Childhood Cancer Support

Leukaemia Foundation
Phone: 07 3318 4418
Website: Leukaemia Foundation

Cancer Council Queensland
Phone: 13 11 20
Website: Cancer Council Queensland

More information

If you need long-term accommodation or have any questions, visit our welfare team on Level 6F. You can also call them on 07 3068 2940.

Watch our for out of town families video to find out about coming to our hospital and accommodation options.

For Out Of Town Families

This is a big hospital, which means kids come from near and far to get special treatment and to feel better. Some families come from Brisbane, Ipswich far north Queensland like Cape York.

To become a patient at the Children's Hospital if it's not an emergency situation, you need a referral from your normal doctor or local hospital.

Once the hospital sees or far from your doctor, they'll send you a letter telling you when your appointment is or when you'll be admitted. You'll get lots of information about your visit, but if you haven't received something or need more information, call our referral centre to help you out.

If you're a family coming to hospital from out of town, there are some accommodation options which may be available to you. Like Ronald McDonald House across the road from the hospital, which is the largest Ronald's McDonald's house in the Southern hemisphere.

There are more accommodation options listed on our website. To find out more, speak to your local hospital or call this hospital and ask to speak to one of our welfare offices before you arrive.

When you are ready to go home, the doctor who referred you to the hospital will be sent a letter about your care and about what happens next. If you have any other questions, remember you can find more information on our website, au, or call us on 07 3068 1111 .

Last updated: January 2024