Zero to Four Child and Youth Mental Health Service
The Zero to Four Child and Youth Mental Health Service (0-4 CYMHS) helps babies and young children who are not yet at school.
Many children aged 0 to 4 have experienced frightening or stressful events, sometimes over a period of time. These upsetting events can make them feel disconnected, lost, sad, frightened and angry.
Babies and young children don’t have the language skills to tell anyone about their ‘big feelings’. They may express their feelings through their behaviour, for example by becoming ‘unsociable’, ‘clingy’ or ‘naughty’. They also may not grow, thrive and develop the same way as other children their age.
0-4 CYMHS works with babies and young children, and those who care for them, to help the whole family manage these ‘big feelings’ and recover from upsetting experiences.
0-4 CYMHS also works with women and their families, where the woman is pregnant and is having trouble developing a positive relationship with her unborn baby.
Who can access this service?
Your baby or young child may be helped by 0-4 CYMHS if they are aged 0 to 4 years, are not yet at school, and:
- you are concerned about their emotions and/or behaviour
- you are finding the relationship with your baby or child challenging, so that spending time together is not enjoyable
- you are expecting a baby, and struggling to feel positive about this unborn child.
This service is available for the Brisbane and Pine Rivers area. Please check our postcode list to see if your suburb falls within our catchment.
Do I need a referral?
You will need a formal referral to access this service.
How do I get a referral?
Health professionals and other helping professionals can refer a family to 0-4 CYMHS. This may include:
- general practitioners
- child health nurses
- case manager/ case workers
- other helping professionals.
Other referral information
If you would like more information about whether your young child and family would be helped by 0-4 CYMHS, please contact your GP, child health nurse or other health care professional. They will be able to discuss your concerns and make a referral for your child if it is needed.
Information for health professionals
Zero to Four Child and Youth Mental Health Service (0-4 CYMHS) is a specialised mental health service for infants and young children from zero to four years who are not yet at school. Services are provided by a team of mental health clinicians including psychiatrists, psychologists, mental health nurses, social workers, speech pathologists, and occupational therapists.
Zero to Four Child and Youth Mental Health Service welcomes referrals:
- for babies and young children experiencing emotional and/or behavioural difficulties to the degree that their social, emotional or developmental wellbeing is at risk
- for babies and young children where the relationship between them and their parents is challenging, and spending time together is not enjoyable
- for women and their families who are struggling to develop a positive relationship with the unborn baby
A formal referral is required to access this service. To make a referral to 0-4 CYMHS, please use the 0-4 CYMHS Referral Form.
Who may benefit from this service
- Families where one or more parent or caregiver is having difficulties with their mental health and wellbeing, and/or with alcohol and substance use.
- Brothers and sisters of current Child and Youth Mental Health Service clients.
- Children in families who have difficulty keeping their children safe.
- Families with many social stressors.
- Children whose parents or caregivers experienced distressing events in their own childhoods.