The Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital provides secondary level health services for children living in the Brisbane local government area and tertiary level health services for children in Queensland and northern New South Wales. Patient referrals are accepted from hospital and private consultants, and general practitioners.
Should your patient be referred to the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital?
General paediatric patients should be referred to their local children’s hospital service. These hospitals may also provide limited specialist services and this should be considered before the patient is referred to the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital. Please refer to:
How to submit a referral
- Use the correct electronic forms and templates to submit your referral. This will ensure the information is legible and complete.
- Ensure the minimum referral requirements are provided. Your referral may be returned if this information is omitted.
- Ensure your patient resides within the catchment area specified by the specialty and meets the eligibility requirements.
- Submit your completed form to the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital Referral Centre. Please note, that unless specifically required by the receiving service, sending your referral directly to the specialist area may result in processing delays.
- Send supporting reports and information to the Referral Centre.
Contact the specialist service directly regarding urgent referrals.
All referrals are processed as follows.
- Referral is submitted via:
- Medical objects ID: RQ402900084 (general practitioners)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (if via a secure network)
- Fax: 1300 407 281
- Mail: PO Box 3474 South Brisbane Qld 4101
- Referral is assessed for urgency, triaged and allocated to the relevant specialist service.
- Receipt of the referral is acknowledged by an email auto-reply and in writing within three working days. A letter is sent to both the referrer and patient.
- Within five working days, an appointment is scheduled or the patient is wait-listed.
Important: Where the referral is for a burns patient, please refer to the specific referral process and use the appropriate form. Acute burns patients need to be seen within 3 days of injury.
Last updated: 18 May 2016